Thursday, June 10, 2010

1001 Books That I've Read Already

I need to keep this straight (in my head), so I need another list. Yep, I do love lists.

So far I've read:

1. The Lusiad - Luis Vaz de Camoes I actually read this book both in Portuguese and in English.

2. Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra This was a summer read for me years ago.

3. Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift I read this book as a kid. I probably should re-read it soon.

4. Evelina - Fanny Burney Read this book for a challenge last year.

6. Camilla - Fanny Burney Another challenge read.

7. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen S&S was my first Jane Austen book.

8. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen My favorite by Jane Austen. Mr. Darcy. Need I say more...

9. Mansfield Park - Jane Austen Another keeper

10. Emma - Jane Austen Of all the Jane Austen novels that I have read Emma is my least favorite.

11. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas I have a thing about Musketeers. I read this book for the first time when I was 14.

12. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte I've read this book twice. Once during high school and again a couple of years ago.

13. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte I don't get all the hype about this story.

14. The Scarlett Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne Sad story.

16. Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell I love this book. I need re-read it soon.

17. North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell Amazing book. The BBC's mini-series is worth watching, if you haven't done so yet.

18. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert I read this book a few years ago.

20. Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne This book was one of those that I've always wanted to read, but never got around to it. I finally read it for a challenge last year.

21. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott Another childhood favorite. Both the book and the movies.

22. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy I read this huge book while I was pregnant with my daughter. I found it hard to keep track of the Russian names so I took notes while reading it.

23. Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne I read this book when I was a kid.

24. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy I read this book when I was pregnant with my son. I thought it was only fitting that I read War & Peace during my first pregnancy, I had to read another Tolstoy with pregnancy number two... so Anna Karenina was enjoyed throughout the last trimester of baby # 2.

25. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain Read this one in high school. Another book I probably should re-read soon.

26. Tess of the D'Ubervilles - Thomas Hardy My sister read this one in high school, while I was at University. I remember coming home for a holiday and she was raving about how much she liked the book, so I took her recommendation and read it during said holiday and loved it.

27. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle I've been a fan of Sherlock Holmes ever since I can remember. I first read it when I was 12, and and every once in a while I revisit Holmes and Watson.

28. The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Re-read this book for a challenge last year.

29. A Room with a View - E. M. Forster I read this book the summer before I started my first year of University.

30. A Passage to India - E. M. Forster I read this book last year for a challenge.

31. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald I've read this book several times. I first read in Grade 10 English and then I re-read again when my younger sister was reading for school and then again a few years ago when I "forced" my husband to read it. There's something about that I just love and I couldn't get how other kids in school didn't see it. I still have my high school copy full of annotations and highlights (gasp!).

32. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie I love this book! If you haven't read this one you really should. It's amazing!

33. A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway Read this book during school vacation one year. Don't remember too much about it, but I did like it.

34. Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald Read it the same year as Gatsby but didn't enjoy it as much.

35. Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell I first read this book when I was 15 or 16. I re-read recently (past couple of years). Enjoyed as much as the first time around. Couldn't get Clarke Gable out of my head though... Go figure!

36. Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier I try to re-read this book often. It's probably my favorite mystery/suspense of all time.

37. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway Another one of those summer reads.

38. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery I've read this book both in English and in French (Grade 12). Loved it both times.

39. Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren Another childhood favorite.

40. The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger High school...from what I remember it was pure torture. I probably should give it a try again.

41. The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway High school read.

42. Lord of the Flies - William Golding I'm probably not alone when I say that I don't understand why this book had to be read in Grade 9. Don't get me wrong it's a great story but I don't think many kids truly appreciate the story. Another one of those books that I need to re-read.

43. Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov Quite a story. Read it a while ago...after I watched the movie.

44. Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon I first heard of Gabriela as a child when I vacationing in Portugal with my parents. I read this book a couple of years ago. It's very good.

45. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Every time I read this book, I take something different from it. One of my favorite books.

46. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez Read this book a few years back.

47. Fifth Business - Robertson Davies Grade 12 English. All because of a snowball!

49. The Diviners - Margaret Laurence I was surprised on how much I enjoyed this book. I'm also surprised that Margaret Laurence's Stone Angel didn't make it on the list.

50. Interview With the Vampire - Anne Rice I read this book early 90's before the movie came out.

51. Kiss of the Spider Woman - Manuel Puig I watched the movie in my teens and I got curious and had to read the novel. I was surprised on how much I enjoyed the book.

52. Song of Solomon - Toni Morrison It was a summer read years and years ago.

53. Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams My husband forced me to read this book. I was pleasantly surprised... I enjoyed it. Not so much as he did but close enough.

54. The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco Amazing historical novel. Love it!
56. The Color Purple – Alice Walker Another one of my summer reads during school.

57. Neuromancer - William Gibson Another book that my husband wanted to read, finally broke down and read it for a challenge a couple of years ago.

58. The Lover - Marguerite Duras Great book!

59. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood I was surprised on how much I enjoyed this book. It was one of those novels that I always wanted to read but never got around to...until I finally did.

60. Contact – Carl Sagan I read this book because of the movie. I watched the movie and loved it. I enjoyed the book but in this case I think I liked the movie better.

61. The Cider House Rules - John Irving Summer read about five years ago.

62. Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel García Márquez My favorite book by this author.

64. Beloved - Toni Morrison Summer read

65. A Prayer for Owen Meany – John Irving My favorite book by this author.

66. Like Water for Chocolate – Laura Esquivel I read this book on a bus trip from Ottawa to Toronto. I still have my little beat up paperback.

67. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro Read for a challenge last year.

68. American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis What can I say about this book? Wow...gross and icky and I liked it!

69. The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje I loved this book. It was written beautifully. Then I watched the movie and it put me to sleep...literally.

70. The Virgin Suicides – Jeffrey Eugenides Great book and such a sad story. The movie pretty good too.

71. The Stone Diaries – Carol Shields Another summer reading book.

72. A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth I wasn't expecting much but when I finished was I pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed it.

73. The Shipping News – E. Annie Proulx Great story! Read almost ten years ago. Wow.

74. Fall On Your Knees - Ann-Marie MacDonald Beautiful story. One of those books that I couldn't put down until I was done.

75. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy Re-read it a while ago for a challenge. My husband bought it for me as I gift.

76. The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver I read this book because it was an Oprah choise book and I was surprised on how much a truly enjoyed it.

77. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz I read this book for a challenge and was amazed on how great it was.

No comments: