Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Matrix, Case!

Here's another book that my husband has been after me to read, hmm, since well...ever since I met him. And I finally did...It only took twelve years, honey! But I did it!

Okay, want to know what really got me fired up to read this book. This. So I gave it try, and surprisingly enough, I even enjoyed it.

Here's the blurb (taken for the author's site):
Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

Like I mentioned before, I enjoyed the book. It didn't surprsise my husband, it didn't suprise my sister (another fan), but it surprised me. Although I have read science fiction before, I always thought it was hard for me to follow. Truth be told, I always felt like I needed a manual to understand certain things, but with this book I did not feel that way at all.

I was swept right in at the beginning of the book, and didn't want to let go until the bitter end...And then I ended cursing myself for not reading it sooner. Yes, mia culpa. It was always available to be read, I just didn't want to commit.

Okay back to the book... Loved the characters, although Case was great, my favourite was Molly. Now she knew how to kick butt. And together they made an awesome team, and I couldn't quite the author's intention with the ending, but that's just my opinion. The setting was so interesting, to travel cyber space through Case and Molly's eyes was exciting and a little scary, and their cities were dark and dangerous, but the combination made the book.

Neuromancer not only won the Hugo Award in 1985, but it also won the Nebula Award in 1984, and also the Philip K. Dick Award in 1984. Very impressive.

Neuromancer by William Gibson (4/5) Science Fiction; Published: Ace (1984); New Author; 100 + Reading Challenge (48); Book Awards II Challenge (1); Keeper shelf;

No comments: