Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wuthering Heights

The haunting intensity of Catherine Earnshaw's attachment to Heathcliff is the focus of a novel which relations between men and women are described with an emotional and imaginative power unparalleled in English fiction.

First published in 1847, Wuthering Heights is set on the bleak Yorkshire moors, where the drama of Catherine and Heathcliff, Heathcliff's cruel revenge against Edgar and Isabella Linton, and the promise of redemption through the next generaion in enacted.

Like many other readers I was introduced to Wuthering Heights in high school. Then, I thought it to be a boring and simplistic story. But I have changed mind, this time around I truly enjoyed it.

Heathcliff's obsession with revenge is a true characteristic of his madness. Knowing what going to happen I still couldn't put down the book. I had to keep reading. But Heathcliff's madness is not the only one in the book, I found Catherine to be just as crazy, she too was obsessed, with him. What a web! A delightful one! Also this time around I really enjoyed the darkness of the mood.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (4.5/5) Classic Literature; Published: Thomas Cautley Newby (1847); 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (115); Romance Reading Challenge (9); 18th & 19th Century Women Writers' Reading Challenge (8); Keeper shelf;

2 comments:

Kailana said...

I have started this book so many times and still haven't read it. I really have to one of these days!

Nise' said...

I like this book better each time I read it.