Thursday, July 30, 2009

Uncle Tom's Cabin

After reading The Book of Negroes, I thought I would re-visit Uncle Tom's Cabin. I read it years ago while at school, and at that time I thought it was a great book, even if it dealt with slavery and made me angry. I know that because I wrote that in pencil on the book.

Well, I can honestly say that the anger is still there. But would I consider it a great book? No, I don't think it was. It must have been something quite different when it was first published, 1852. It does give you an idea on how slaves were treated by slave owners. The story was enjoyable in a bittersweet way, it was hard to read already knowing the ending.

The book will back to my keepers shelf. I'm sure it will be read again.

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (Re-read) Classic Literature; Published: National Era - as a serial, John P. Jewett & Company - in two volumes (1852); 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (90); Celebrate The Author (6);

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I have not read this. There's always another must-read classic that I need to add to my list! It never ends :)

Kailana said...

I really liked this book when I read it, too. I must reread it too!