Friday, July 31, 2009

Inkheart

Imagine it were possible to bring the characters from a book to life. Not like when someone reads a book with such enchantment that the characters seem to jump off the pages and into your bedroom...but for real. Imagine they could actually climb out of the pages and into our world.

Then, imagine if those characters brought their world into ours.

One cruel night, young Meggie's father, Mo, reads aloud from Inkheart and an evil ruler named Capricorn escapes the boundaries of fiction and lnds in their living room. Suddenly, Meggie is smack in the middle of the kind of adventure she has only read about in books.

Somehow, Meggie and Mo must learn to harness the magic that conjured this nightmare. Somehow they must change the course of the story that has changed their lives forever.

I was hooked right the first page until the last one. I was surprised by it. Truly. I watched the movie with my kids, and mainly the reason behind my reading it was because Sophester wanted to read it together. Well, I read it quick. I couldn't help myself. But I'm reading it along with her at night she before bedtime.

I lost myself in this book. It brought back the wonder and the imagination that you have as a child. The wanting of your favorite characters to be brought to life. What would it be like to see Tinkerbell?

I loved the story. Mo's ability and his fear of this incredible gift, Meggie's curiosity and wonder, Elinor's love for book and her no-nonsense exterior, Dustfinger's need to go back home, Basta's superstitions and Capricorn's evil streak.

I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (5/5) Young Adult; Fantasy; Published: The Chicken House - Scholastic (2003); Series: # 1, Inkheart Trilogy; New Author; Favourite Reads 2009; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (91); Young Readers Challenge (4);

1 comment:

Kailana said...

Always great to love a book so much!