Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cranford

Here's the blurb for Cranford taken from Barnes and Noble:
In this classic portrait of life in a quiet English village of the early nineteenth century, Elizabeth Gaskell writes with wit and affection of the foibles, follies and endearing eccentricities of its occupants as they struggle to maintain standards in their genteel poverty. This witty and poignant comedy, with its ironic observations on the pretensions of class is told through the eyes of a young woman who befriends the elderly ladies of Cranford.

I loved reading Cranford! It was a fun read, it felt like I was taken to a different world and spent time there with new found friends. It was a great little book to read on a wonderful summer day. I found it different a little different from the previous books that I've read by the author, North and South, and Wives and Daughters. But somehow it felt familiar, the author has the ability to show us the characters world and their feelings. Their stories were remarkable, and emotional. I adored the fact that the village was basically run by women. Loved it!

I read this book through the library, but I've enjoyed it so much that I'll be getting my own copy. IT will have a place on my shelf along with Gaskell's other books. I highly recommend it!

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (5/5) Classic Literature; Published: Household Words, 1851 - serial, 1853 - complete novel; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (83); 18th & 19th Century Women Writers' Reading Challenge (6);

No comments: