Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Darcy's Confession

I’m a huge fan of Pride & Prejudice, and I’m addicted to reading any sequels or different versions written…I’ve read a few, and I’ve enjoyed them all. I was very happy to find The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy: A Novel by Mary Street waiting for me at the hold shelf at the library.

Here’s the blurb:
In Fiztwilliam Darcy, Jane Austen created perhaps the ultimate romantic hero. Yet Pride and Prejudice reveals little of Darcy’s innermost thoughts. In The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy, the true motives and mysteries of Elizabeth Bennet’s enigmatic lover are explored in a beguiling retelling of Jane Austen’s comic masterpiece of divine romance.

Through Darcy's eyes we discover the reality of his relationships with his sister Georgiana, his cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam, the dastardly Wickham, his friend Bingley, and his formidable aunt, Lady Catherine. And of course, all his memorable encounters with Elizabeth, from that first view of her fine eyes to his disastrous proposal, and then to a pride and arrogance tempered by an unquenchable love.


Imagine this setting: Sitting on the deck enjoying the sun, a light summer breeze, listening to light jazz and reading a good book. That’s how I spent my afternoon.
This one was another one of those one sitting books. I was hooked right from the beginning. I couldn’t and wouldn’t put it down, until it was all read. It was a nice change, from the hectic week.

The book was wonderful! I loved reading Darcy’s perspective on the goings on of P&P. I loved his interaction with the Bingley’s, and his sister Georgiana. The book really gives a glimpse to Darcy, the way I imagined him… lol But what got to me was the struggle that he had with the growing feelings for Elizabeth. Wanting to take the so called advice that he “gave” Bingley, but not being able to so. Or the way he did all he could to fix the problems that he caused, just to make Elizabeth happy.

The Confession of Fiztwilliam Darcy: A Novel by Mary Street (4/5) Historical Fiction; Published: Robert Hale (1999) & Berkley (3/2008); 100 + Reading Challenge (32); July Book Blowout (8); Library book;

2 comments:

Seccionista said...

hey Leya, I just finished a book such as this, pamela Aidan's An Assembly Such as This ;-)

Leya said...

I think I read An Assembly Such as This, there are so many out there...lol. Ana, if you get a chance read Confession, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.