Saturday, June 7, 2008

I do love my jammies...

I suffer from the occasional bout of insomnia, and last night it hit full force. I woke up at three in morning and no way was I going to be able to go back to sleep. I recognized the feeling right off...so I did the only thing I knew that wouldn't disturb my husband. I got up, grabbed a book off my night stand and went into the family room and read.

The book I grabbed was The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square by Rosina Lippi. Here's the blurb (taken from Amazon.ca):
For John Dodge, moving to new places and reviving ailing businesses is a way of life. So when he sees an ad for Scriveners, a stationery shop in a small town in South Carolina, he decides to take the plunge.

As soon as he arrives in Lambert's Corner, Dodge falls happily into the whirl of gossip, gifts, and quintessential Southern hospitality. Link Kay, one of his employees, warms up to him after Dodge admires his expertise on pens. Bean Hurt- a feisty and outspoken ten-year-old-becomes a fast friend. And Maude Golden, the mayor, supplies him with indispensable information. But the one person who really catches Dodge's eye is Julia Darrow-the beautiful but aloof pajama- wearing owner of the Cocoon, a popular store specializing in luxury linens. Dodge tries to befriend her, but she remains elusive and mysterious. Everyone knows that she is a widow, but no one seems to know why she came to town or why she never leaves Lambert Square-or does she?

Like Dodge, Chicago-born Julia is fleeing a tumultuous past. But with the help of a hilarious and endearing cast of characters, Julia and Dodge learn that, sometimes, you don't need to go far to find home.


I was drawn right from the beginning. I just couldn't help it. I enjoyed every single little bit. The setting, even a fictional one, was superb. The characters were funny, engaging, friendly and full of southern charm. Who wouldn't want to visit Lambert Square?

The character that I enjoyed the most (of course) was Julia. On the outside she seems to be in control, strong, self assured and a keen business women, but throughout the book you see that she's slowly falling apart and that she's quite capable of figuring her what she needs to get her out of her problem. She just might need a little help from Dodge, if she's willing to accept it. Another reason that made her so appealing to me was her ability to love and train problem dogs, she sees beneath the exterior and just loves the dogs as they are. She fosters these dogs and only gives them to people that she finds worthy. Amazing!(Can you tell I'm an animal lover?!)

I just devoured this book. I cannot believe that I haven't read Rosina Lippi before, of course I've had seen her books before but I never given her a chance. I'm so glad that I picked this book up the library. I'll definitely will be looking for her other books, and also the historical fiction that she writes under the name of Sara Donati.

My only complaint about this book...was that I wanted more. After it was done, I wanted more. And more! I didn't want to say goodbye to these people. I want more Lambert Square! Please!

The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square by Rosina Lippi (5/5) General Fiction; Romance Comedy; Published: G.P. Putnam's Sons (2008); New Author; 100 + Reading Challenge (15); Library book; Added to shopping list; Favorite Reads of the year;

1 comment:

Marg said...

I enjoy everything that Rosina Lippi writes, whether under that name or under the name Sara Donati!