Friday, June 6, 2008

Lover Enshrined

I've been waiting and waiting for this book to be published. I actually pre-ordered it, and I rarely buy books as it is. But I've enjoyed the series so much that I decided that NEEDED this book asap. Well I received it last week, but I had other books that I needed to be read so I could return them to library. So I put it on my nightstand, and every once in a while I would gaze upon and sigh...one more book...until I can spend time with you...Yes, I know I sound pathetic, but that just me...

I finally was able to start it on Wednesday evening.

Here's the blurb:

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there’s a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other—six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. And now, a dutiful twin must choose between two lives...

Fiercely loyal to the Black Dagger Brotherhood, Phury has sacrificed himself for the good of the race, becoming the male responsible for keeping the Brotherhood's bloodlines alive. As Primale of the Chosen, he is to father the sons and daughters who will ensure that the traditions of the race survive and that there are warriors to fight those who want all vampires extinguished.

As his first mate, the Chosen Cormia wants to win not only his body but his heart for herself- she sees the emotionally scarred male behind all his noble responsibility. But while the war with the Lessening Society grows more grim, and tragedy looms over the Brotherhood's mansion, Phury must decide between duty and love.


You know how when you are really looking forward to something, just knowing that it will be awesome, so you have all this built up expectations...and then you sit down and start reading. And by each chapter you read those expectations are being lowered and lowered. That's what happened. Please don't get me wrong, it wasn't a horrible book, it was pretty good in fact...considering. But I was expecting fantastic, I was expecting a 5 star book.

I was expecting a love story to develop between Phury and Cormia, and it did eventually, but to me it seemed like it was a secondary plot (not main), there was a lot of information going, introduction to another "war" storyline between the Lessers and the BGB. Instead of a wanting to read about Phury - which you think about it, it is his story, I was more interested in knowing about what was going on with Rehv and other characters.

The one constant of the series, is the darkness of the story and the setting, and like the other books of the series it had and it was wonderful. I had the feeling of being in a film noir. It had the usual eeriness, without getting gruesome.

I will put this book along with the others on my keeper shelf, and maybe a few months down the line I'll re-read...I may get something completely different from the story by then.

Lover Enshrined by J.R. Ward (3.5/5) Romantic Suspense; Paranormal: Vampire; Published: Signet (6/2008); Series: # 6, The Black Dagger Brotherhood; 100 + Reading Challenge (14); Keeper;

No comments: