Monday, April 21, 2008

Remember When

I'm a huge fan of Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb, and yes I realize that they're are the same person, but to me they are two very distinctive authors. I love Roberts romantic suspense, and Robb's futuristic mysteries and when Remember When first came out I was a little concerned that both styles would mesh together... so I've been avoiding reading it.

But when a few friends from FTLOR who were reading Remember When and asked to join them for a discussion I just couldn't say no. So went looking a copy of the book.

Here's the blurb (taken from B&N):

Laine Tavish is an ordinary woman living an ordinary life in the small town of Angel's Gap, Maryland, as the proprietor of Remember When, an antique treasures and gift shop. At least, that's what everyone in Angel's Gap thinks. They have no idea that she used to be Elaine O'Hara, daughter of the notorious con man Big Jack O'Hara. Or that she grew up moving from place to place, one step ahead of the law...

Laine's past has just caught up with her, though - in a very dramatic way. Her long-lost uncle suddenly turned up in her shop, leaving only a cryptic warning before dying in the street, run down by a car. Soon afterward, her home is ransacked. Now it's up to Laine, and a sexy stranger named Max Gannon, to find out who's chasing her and why.

The answer lies in a hidden fortune - a fortune that will change not only Laine's life but also the lives of future generations. And danger and death will surround that fortune for years to come. Until New York City detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas gets on the case.


It started off well enough, the characters were great and I enjoyed their chemistry, thought that they moved on to their "relationship" a tad too quickly, but I got over that. Enjoyed the sinister bad guy, he gave me the creeps, he was very John Malkovitchy and I so wanted Max and Laine to get him at the end.

And then it moved to the future...

I love Eve Dallas and the gang, but I just could get into it. I couldn't wrap my mind around having these characters aging into this alternate future and being alive and well, and still having problems with the bad guy's family.

Did I hate the book? No I didn't, but it wasn't the best of either Nora Roberts or J.D. Robb. Now, I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed this book and I'm also pretty sure that there were many fans like myself that found this collaboration a not so good idea.

Remember When by Nora Roberts & J.D. Robb (2.5/5) Romantic Suspense/Futuristic Mystery; Published: Penguin Group (2004); Series: Eve Dallas; 100 + Reading Challenge (2); Library book;

No comments: