Tuesday, April 8, 2008

North and South

I jumped on the North and South bandwagon, and I'm loving every moment of it. And what is not to love?!

It's the story of Margaret Hale, a young woman from the beautiful farm lands of the south England, who moves with her family to the industrial town of Milton in the north of the country. At first she's repulsed with the ugliness of the town, and she also becomes aware of the poverty and suffering of the mill-workers. And there's John Thornton, owner of a mill. He's a hard man, but also just and fair. Although Margaret and John have different views that doesn't stop their attraction towards each other.

The setting was unbelievable, it was scary, dark and filthy. You saw what it was really like in the cottons mills. I love the way Margaret made friends with the mill-workers and it broke my heart when her friend passed.

Aside from the social concern of the time, it was a beautiful love story....Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe were perfect in their roles of John and Margaret. John feeling that he wasn't worthy of Margaret's love, and her ow prejudices against his position as the "master" of the mill. But she slowly falls for him. It was wonderful to watch.

One of my favorite scenes, was when Margaret was leaving Milton, John is watching her leave, and he just wants her to look back at him...It was heart wrenching. I was hoping along with him.

And there's the ending at the train station. Oh my word! Wonderful!

2 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

*deep contented sigh* You liked it!! You really liked it!! It's so much more than just a really good love story isn't it? And I too love those scenes you mention. Which all reminds me - it's been a while since I've watched this. I think I'm due again!

Dev said...

Ditto Kristie. I love N & S. It's been a few months since I've seen it, so I'm definitely due to watch it again.