Monday, May 2, 2011

Bury Your Dead


As Quebec City shovers in the grip of winter, its ancient stone walls cracking in the cold, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache plunges into the strangest case of his celebrated career. A man has been brutally murdered in one of the city's oldest buildings - a library where the English citizens of Quebec safeguard their history. And the death opens a door into the past, exposing a mystery that has lain dormant for centuries...a mystery Gamache must solve if he's to catch a present-day killer.

I'm a huge fan of Louise Penny's Armand Gamache series. I've loved all the books of the series, of course some more than others but to me the Armand Gamache series is awesome. The series has it all: great characters, great storylines and the best setting possible...Canada! Ok, Quebec. But it has the Canadian touch.

This book did not disappoint. The Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is in Quebec City to recover from a terrible accident. He needs time to recover pshycally and also psycologically. And the reader has a front row seat to his turmoil. It has an amazing experience seeing a great man remember and try to forgive himself his greatest mistake. Although Gamache's storyline is poignant, the scene stealer of the book for me was the history of the city itself. I think like many other English speaking Canadians I only know the minimal history of Quebec which is sad in a way, because it's a place full of rich history.

There was also the re-opening of the case involving Olivier, which was in The Brutal Telling. And what a twist in that story. My goodness I didn't see that one coming.

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny (5/5) Mystery; Published: Minotaur Books (9/2010); Series: # 6, Armand Gamache; Canadian Author; Source: Library; Canadian Book Challenge (3); Favourite Reads 2011; Books 2011 (30);

1 comment:

Nise' said...

I have seen her books and am glad to know they are part of a series. I am going to check them out.