Friday, April 15, 2011

The Darkest Hour

It's been one year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly last saw his wife, Rachel, alive. Overwhelmed by grief and guilt over his failures as a husband, Ethan shuts himself off from everything and everyone.

His brothers have tried to bring Ethan into the KGI fold, tried to break through the barriers he's built around himself, but Ethan refuses to respond...until he receives an anonymous note claiming Rachel is alive.

To save her, Ethan will have to dodge bullets, cross a jungle and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise. And even if he succeeds, he'll have to force Rachel to recover memories she doesn't want t relive - the minute-by-minute terror of her darkest hour - for their love, and their lives, may depend on it.

After reading this book I have three questions.

Why has it taken me so long to read a book my Maya Banks? Honestly I cannot fathom the reason why it took me years...years, people!...to read Maya Banks. I have friends that rave about this author, but I kept on passing her by. But not any longer!

Where can I find myself a Kelly brother? What a group of yummy alpha-males. Num num. Not only are they gorgeous, military trained, they also have a kindness about them. In this book we're introduced to all the Kelly brothers, Sam, Garrett, Donovan, Ethan, Nathan and Joe. But the focus is on Ethan and his wife Rachel. I have to admit that my first glimpse of Ethan (drunk) was not a stellar introduction but it was an understandable condition. His pain and guilt were so deep that when he receives the note that Rachel is imprisoned, he changes...first he's angry with the bad joke and then something sparks, a what if. And then the story really begins for me. Being kept in captivity Rachel tries everything to remain sane, but her memory is starting the fade and the only thing that helps is the "medicine". I loved seeing Rachel and Ethan together, the love they have for each other is evident but it seemed there was something being held back (and find out the reason towards the end). It was a great romantic suspense story.

How long will I have to wait to get my hands on the next book? Not long I hope!

The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks (4/5) Romantic Suspense; Published: Berkley Sensation (9/2010); Source: Library; Series: # 1, KGI Novel; Books 2011 (20)

No comments: