Friday, January 7, 2011

The Fellowship of the Ring

I decided that this year I would finally get to read all those books that my husband, the science fiction/fantasy guru has been bothering me about to read for the past fifteen years. One of those books, or actually series has been Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series.

I know the premise of the books. I have watched the movies, and I must admit that I'm a big fan of them. And I think that along the way that's what really got me to give this series a try.

I also have to mention that years ago I tried to read The Hobbit, but to no avail...I put it down after the first few chapters. Maybe when (or, if) the movie comes out I will be able to read it.

Here's the blurb for The Fellowship of the Ring:
In a sleepy village in the Shire, a young hobbit is entrusted with an immense task. He must make a perilous journey across Middle-earth to the Cracks of Doom, there to destroy the Ruling Ring of Power - the only thing that prevents the Dark Lord Sauron's evil dominion.

At first I thought I would have problems reading this book. I thought it might drag on, and not be as exciting the the plot of the movie that I'm so familiar with.. But I was pleasantly surprised to have enjoyed the way the author set the picture in my mind, and along the way little pieces of what I saw in movie helped with my mental images.

I truly enjoyed the book. It's huge, it's over 500 pages, and I'm surprised that I read it in a week. I also enjoyed all the extra characters and stories, it truly was an amazing experience. With two more books to read, I think I may just become another Tolkien fan...shhh...just don't tell my husband.

No comments: