Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chance Encounters

Here's the blurb for Chance Encounters by Linda Wells (taken from Amazon):
In Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Fitzwilliam Darcy arrives at Netherfield in a state of indignation and delivers an insult that nearly ended his future before it began. What if he did not go to Meryton that autumn and instead met Elizabeth Bennet later in London during the winter? What if their introduction was not an insult, but rather a challenge to smile, and how does the strength of an extraordinary couple help them to survive all that life sends their way?

Chance Encounters is a journey of the imagination and explores how a resigned and wiser Elizabeth meets a hardened Darcy. It follows them and their families through their courtship, wedding, and beyond. Together they experience a mature love.


Possible spoilers ahead

As you might of noticed I've been on a binge of all things P&P lately. I can't seem to get enough, I love the original, and so far I've been enjoying all the fan-fiction, the re-telling and sequels. I guess you get the point... And when the lovely people at Amazon suggested that I give Chance Encounters a try, I didn't, I couldn't day no and so I've been reading this book for the past few days (while I'm watching the Olympics too - I can multi-task!).

I truly enjoyed the way that Darcy and Elizabeth first meet in this book, it was different and very romantic in my opinion. All the characters are there, some appear more than often and there are new characters as well that add to the story. I was flabbergasted when Mr Bennett is so against the match that he needed to take matters into his own hands, that I had to stop reading...To me it just didn't fit into who I believed Mr Bennett was.

There were also other things that I found a little far fetched for the time period, but I am no expert so I will not complain about them.

But one thing I have to say is that it's hot. Darcy and Lizzy definitely have chemistry and they are not afraid to explore. And that's all I'm going to say.

Chance Encounters by Linda Wells (4/5) Historical Fiction; Fan-fiction: Re-telling of P&P: Published: CreateSpace (9/08); Format: E-book for Kindle; New Author; Books 2010 (20)

1 comment:

tweezle said...

I LOVE your blog!! To let you know how much I appreciate your hard work and to get to know you a little better, I have an award for you. It's called the "Honest Scrap Award". It's a fun award that I hope you enjoy. You can pick it up here:

Just One More Paragraph