Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mere Christianity

Mere Christianity is the most popular of C. S. Lewis’s works of nonfiction, with several million copies sold worldwide. Heard first as radio addresses and then published as three separate books--The Case for Christianity, Christian Behavior, and Beyond Personality this book brings together Lewis’s legendary broadcast talks of the war years, talks in which he set out simply to "explain and defend the belief that has been common to nearly all Christians at all times."
It is a collection of scintillating brilliance which remains strikingly fresh for the modern reader, and which confirms C. S. Lewis’s reputation as one of the leading Christian writers and thinkers of our age.

My mother read this book years ago and she's been after me to read ever since. But I've been putting it off. I don't have a particular reason but I kept moving the book back from my nightstand to my shelf. But recently my children have been asking questions about religion and the similarities and differences between Catholicism and the other Christian denominations. And I honestly couldn't answer their questions, aside from the Pope being the religious leader of Catholics. Sad, isn't it?

Mere Christianity once again come off the shelf and onto the nightstand and this time around I read it. And I'm glad that did. I understand that all that was written is his belief and not necessarily the denominations' beliefs. And maybe for that reason it appealed to me, I found it quick to read and very straight forward. It was like having a conversation with someone you know. Chatting away back and forth about beliefs without the stigma that you have to join their own beliefs. Now did the book answer my children questions? Not all, but it certainly helped.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (4/5) Non-fiction: Religion and Spirituality; Published: MacMillan Publishers (1952); New Author; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (133);

No comments: