Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Book of Scandal

Nathan Grey, the Earl of Lindsey, is infamously known as the Libertine of Lindsey for his scandalous ways with women. But when he hears gossip that his estranged wife, Evelyn, is about to be named in The Book of Scandal, he has no choice but to remove her from London to protect her and himself from charges of treason -- even if it calls for abduction! While Evelyn has no legal recourse against the man who broke her heart years ago but is still considered her lord and master, she is no longer the immature girl Nathan married. Her enforced homecoming quickly turns into a battle of wills that tears down her husband's defenses and lays bare the passion that still burns between them. Before it is too late, Nathan must confront powerful adversaries as he convinces Evelyn that she is not only his wife, but the one woman he will love for all time.

Can you imagine what losing a child could do to a couple? I can't, and I hope that will never happen to me.

When Nathan and Evelyn lose their son, instead of reaching out to each other they fall apart. Nathan loses himself with drink and gambling while Evelyn withdraws within herself. Evelyn leaves Nathan when she spies him with another woman, whom she thinks is his mistress. But three years later Nathan forces Evelyn to return home, for the good of the family - he doesn't want her involved in the Princess of Wales scandal. She isn't happy with the decision, she has bad memories of the estate, and she's afraid on how living with Nathan will be. Sparks fly. Misunderstandings are explained. But soon they realize that something isn't entirely right, mysterious accidents have been happening in the estate. Can it be too late for them?

After the author's last series, I was considering not to read this book. But I'm glad that I picked it up. I loved the book. I drawn into the story right from the beginning. It was fast paced, and it didn't lack in the details of the period. I thought that the emotions that both Nathan and Evelyn had, were believable and heart wrenching. And I also thought that their reconciliation was bound to happen sooner or later - the love was still there, their chemistry was wonderful. The threats added a suspense to the story and I was shocked on who was the culprit. My only complaint was that I found the ending rushed, I wanted more.

The Book of Scandal by Julia London (4.5/5) Historical Romance; Published: Pocket Books (9/2008); Series: # 1, Scandal Series; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (79); Keeper Shelf;

No comments: