Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Confessions of A Little Black Gown

I'm a fan Elizabeth Boyle. I've read all her books, I guess you can say I've been a fan since the beginning. Although I've stopped buying her books - let's just say that I haven't all that impressed with the last book, Love Letters from a Duke - I can't stop reading her books. I may not love all the stories but they are entertaining and that's what keeps me coming back for more.

I'm hoping that the second installment of the Bachelor Chronicles will change my mind on the series. Here's the blurb for Confessions of a Little Black Gown:
She spied him in the shadows . . .

And in an instant, Thalia Langley knew the man before her was no saint. He might claim to be the Duke of Hollindrake's unassuming country cousin, but no man that handsome, that arresting, could be anything but . . . well, he simply must be an unrepentant rogue. His cat-like grace and power leave Tally shivering in her slippers at the notion of all the wicked, forbidden things he might be capable of doing . . . to her.

Indeed, Lord Larken is no bumbling vicar, but a master spy there in his majesty's service to find—and murder—a notorious pirate freed in a daring prison escape. Devoted to the Crown, Larken's not about to let an interfering (and not entirely innocent) Mayfair miss disrupt his ruthless plans. Yet how can he be anything but tempted by this lady in a little black gown . . . a dress tantalizing enough to lead even Larken astray.

I actually enjoyed it!

The characters were likable. I found both the hero, Lord Larken, and heroine, Thalia "Tally" Langley very compatible, they just clicked. They're both adventurous, inquisitive and humorous. The only thing missing was chemistry. Alright, it may just be me, but the "umph" was missing.

The mystery, well not really a mystery...I found it a little tedious at times, and the reason for it was I was expecting more of Pippin and Dash in the book. I really enjoy those two, and I cannot wait to get my hands on Pippin's book. I also liked the mysterious woman, the femme fatale, I found that part very interesting. I think that author could have done more with that character. I didn't care for the little twist at the end of that storyline.

I wasn't expecting a great love story when I first began. I just wanted to be entertained. And I got that!

Confessions of A Little Black Dress by Elizabeth Boyle (3.5/5) Historical Romance; Published: Avon (4/2009); Series: # 2, Bachelor Chronicles; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (61); Romance Reading Challenge (6);

No comments: