Monday, March 23, 2009

When A Stranger Loves Me

I'm not a huge fan of amnesia. I find it overdone, and there's only so many times I can read about a heroine who doesn't remember a thing, super vulnerable without a backbone to speak of. But what caught my attention in When A Stranger Loves Me by Julianne MacLean is that the amnesia victim is the hero.

Here's the blurb for the book:
I saved his life . . . and I had much to demand in return.

When he washed up on shore, I knew my prayers had been answered, and that I, Lady Chelsea Campion, need no longer fear poverty and heartbreak. To secure my family's estate, all I needed was a child. Handsome, clearly noble-born, and with no memory of his previous life, the mysterious man was perfect. All I had to do was visit his bedchamber and seduce him. I had expected him to be a skillful, scandalously wonderful lover, but once in his arms I was overcome by something more than mere passion. I had fallen hopelessly, desperately in love.

My plan has gone shockingly awry. But I will not give up a man who makes me feel such wicked ecstasy. No matter his true identity, no matter the secrets he struggles to remember, I will do anything in this world to make this stranger love me.

I enjoyed seeing Blake's vulnerability. He's physically strong, and seems that he has a strong personality, but the way he deals with amnesia, he shows that vulnerability, and I also enjoyed seeing the anger that he feels with Chelsea scheme. I hate to admit this, but I truly disliked the heroine. I thought she was interesting in the beginning, she had an independent streak that was entertaining until she decided to use the hero.

The book was fast paced and it had good dialogue, but, and this is a big but it lacked spice. I know I've mentioned this before with the previous book of the series, you can find it here. That spark, the chemistry, just wasn't there, in my opinion.

When A Stranger Loves Me by Julianne MacLean (3/5) Historical Romance; Published: Avon (2/2009); Series: # 3, Pembroke Palace; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (36); 2009 Support Your Local Library (31); 2009 Pub Challenge (9);

No comments: