Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Mistress Diaries

He told me he would treat my heart with great care. He was lying, of course, for it was all a very clever, skillful seduction...

The night I met Lord Vincent Sinclair, son of the Duke of Pembroke, was the night I lost control. I never imagines that I, Cassandra Montrose could engage in such wicked, wanton behavior with a man I hardly knew. But in that fateful moment, alone in his coach, the passion I felt for him was undeniable, even though I knew after my surrender, I was unlikely to ever see my lover again.

Until a fateful secret brought me to his door...

I always believed my pride would prevent me from becoming any man's mistress - especially a rogue like Vincent, who cares for nothing but his inheritance. Yet I have a very good reason to remain in Vincent's life. If only he did not tempt me so...

I enjoyed the story, but something was lacking in my opinion. I'm a huge fan of Julianne MacLean's, I remember reading To Marry The Duke and falling instantly in love with both the main characters, and wanting them to "live happily ever after". I know that it doesn't always happen but I was so expecting it with this book. The previous books haven't been up to snuff to certain readers, and some of those books I've enjoyed, and others that I haven't. But I still haven't found that spark that I found with To Marry The Duke.

I found that the book revolved more around the hero, Vincent. Cassandra seemed more of a secondary character. I found their friendship very believable but their love wasn't so, they lacked chemistry. That spark that I mentioned before, just wasn't there for them. I really wanted them to have it. I liked Vincent, he was proud of his rakeness (is that even a word?), he was always upfront with this emotions or lack thereof. Cassandra I found boring.

There were two characters that I really enjoyed. The first was the Duke, let's just say he suffers from illusions, yep, he's crazy, he does have his lucid moments. But he had a kind of comic relief for me. The other, was Letitia, she's spoiled, self centered, cruel and manipulative. I loved her! She was a wonderful villain.

The Mistress Diaries by Julianne MacLean (3.5/5) Historical Romance; Published: Avon (8/08); Series: # 2, Pembroke Palace; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (12); 2009 Support Your Local Library (8);

No comments: