Monday, May 19, 2008

Reading Old Favourites

Due to my reading slump; seriously, it's been weeks since I read a full book; I've decided to re-read my favourites. It's not a hard thing to do, I have plenty. But then came to problems, what or who should I visit first?

I went down to the pit and took a gander:

I could go with the classics, Austen, Eyre, or Dickens, hmm, maybe later. I could go with something western, the Rock Creek men are super yummy, but not right now. There's always one of my favorite fictional families, the Bridgerton's, but not in the mood for that just yet. I've been meaning to read Jose Saramago, but not this moment. Karen Marie Moning's books always makes me smile, but her MIK's aren't what I'm looking for at this precise moment. I kept on looking.

Then, I came upon Jan Karon's Mitford Years series, and I picked up the first book of the series, At Home In Mitford. And I read it. I read the whole book in one afternoon, and I enjoyed every single little morsel of it.

Here's the blurb:

Enter the world of Mitford, and you won't want to leave

It's easy to feel at home in Mitford. In these high, green hills, the air is pure, the village is charming, and the people are generally lovable.

Yet, Father Tim, the bachelor rector, wants something more. Enter a dog the size of a sofa who moves in and won't go away. Add an attractive neighbor who begins wearing a path through the hedge. Now, stir in a lovable but unloved boy, a mystifying jewel theft, and a secret that's sixty years old.

Suddenly, Father Tim gets more than he bargained for. And readers get a rich, provincial comedy in which mysteries and miracles abound.


Although Father Tim is loved by his congregation, he feels that something is lacking. Then enters Barnabas, a Buick sized dog who loves Wordsworth and scripture. A God sent house helper, which he believes that he doesn't deserve. Add to that a red haired boy who needs a lot of loving and a very attractive neighbor. What is not to love in this series? The characters are the reason why I come back again and again to this series. I just love it.

I'm off to start the next book, A Light In The Window.

At Home In Mitford by Jan Karon (Re-read) General Fiction; Published: Lion Publishing (1994); 100 + Reading Challenge (5); Keeper;

No comments: