Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Violets of March

In her twenties, Emily Wilson was on top of the world: she had a bestselling novel, a husband plucked from the pages of GQ, and a one-way ticket to happily ever after. Ten years later, the tide has turned on Emily's good fortune. So when her great-aunt Bee invites her to spend the month of March on Bainbridge Island in Washington State, Emily accepts, longing to be healed by the sea. Researching her next book, Emily discovers a red velvet diary, dated 1943, whose contents reveal startling connections to her own life.



After the last book, I was a bit hesitant about trying something new...but I was pleasantly surprised about this one. I loved everything about it.  Both the contemporary setting and the post WWII story in the book.  I loved Emily her need to find the truth about the red velvet diary, was it truth or fiction. Emily also needed the time to heel her heart and put her life back together.  I was taken by the beauty of Bainbridge Island, and the way Emily loved it. I loved Aunt Bee, she was an amazing woman.  I wish I had an aunt Bee!

My only complaint was that the story ended to soon.  I wanted more.  It felt like it didn't have the closure that it should have had.

The Violets of March by Sarah Jio (4.5/5) General Fiction; Published: Plume (2012); New Author; Library; Books 2012 (43);

No comments: