Thursday, October 25, 2012

It's that time of year again...

Canada Reads 2013 is just around the corner, February of 2013...Yesterday the CBC, released the titles of the books.  This year (actually next year) there will be one book that represents a region of Canada: British Columbia and Yukon, Prairies and North, Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic provinces. Each province/region has narrowed down their lists to ten titles; not sure when the voting will begin, but I will definitely tune in soon to get more info. The list includes a few Canadian classics.

Here are the books nominated by region/or province:

Atlantic Provinces:

Annabel by Kathleen Winter
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - one of my favourite books, ever! 
The Bay of Love and Sorrows by David Adams Richards 
Come Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant 
February by Lisa Moore 
Galore by Michael Crummey 
Glass Boys by Nicole Lundrigan 
No Great Mischief by Alistair McLeod 
Ragged Islands by Don Hannah 
The Town that Drowned by Riel Nason

Prairies and North:

Stolen by Annette Lapointe 

Cool Water by Dianne Warren 
Fall from Grace by Wayne Arthurson 
The Garneau Block by Todd Babiak 
Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay 
The Trade by Fred Stenson 
The Age of Hope by David Bergen 
The Diviners by Margaret Laurence - I love Margaret Mitchell, although my favourite is The Stone Angel, The Diviners is not too shabby either.
Who Has Seen the Wind by W.O. Mitchell - I'm sure I read this book in school, but for the life of me I do not remember it.  It may be time for a re-read.
The Englishman’s Boy by Guy Vanderhaeghe

Ontario:

The Amazing Absorbing Boy by Rabindranath Maharaj - I have this book in my TBR pit
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood - One of my favourite authors.  I have read the majority of her books, but I haven't read Alias Grace.  Shame! 
Away by Jane Urquhart - I have read this author, but not this book.
Clara Callan by Richard B. Wright 
The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Buchanan 
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje - I read this book ages ago...I remember loving it but not the movie.
Far to Go by Alison Pick 
Fifth Business by Robertson Davies - I read this book in high school.  I remember loving it back then, and I somewhat remember the plot.  Another re-read. 
Helpless by Barbara Gowdy 
Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb

Quebec:

The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny - I love Louise Penny's Armand Gamamche series, I haven't read this book yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.
The Darling of Kandahar by Felicia Mihali 
De Niro's Game by Rawi Hage 
How to make Love to a Negro Without Getting Tired by Dany Laferrière Illustrado by Miguel Syjuco 
Inside by Alix Ohlin 
Ru by Kim Thuy 
Solomon Gursky Was Here by Mordecai Richler - I have read Richler, but not this one.
The Tin Flute by Gabrielle Roy 
Two Solitudes by Hugh McLennan

British Columbia and Yukon:

The Canterbury Trail by Angie Abdou 
The Cure for Death by Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz 
Bow Grip by Ivan E. Coyote 
Everything Was Good-bye by Gurjinder Basran 
The Golden Mean by Annabel Lyon 
Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese 
Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson 
Obasan by Joy Kogawa - Another book read during school.  Another re-read.
One Good Hustle by Billie Livingston 
Swamp Angel by Ethel Wilson

I'm ashamed to say that the majority of these books are all new to me.  I guess I will be having some fun looking them up at the library.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I've read Fall from Grace by Wayne Arthurson and recommend it. It's a hard book to condense into just a few keywords. It's suspenseful, but more in the vein of a procedural than say, an edge of your seat thrill-fest. I had quibbles, but there's no denying I found it thought-provoking. The sort of book that stuck with me for a few days after I finished reading it.....

Oh and BTW - welcome back!