Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It Takes a Witch

Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells.  They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee-deep in murder....
Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind them.  Then their aunt Velma delivered a bombshell: They're actually Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell.  Wanting a fresh start, they head to their aunt's magic-themed tourist town to master their new found skills.
But their magic fails them when a wannabe witch turns up dead - strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the dead body.  Ve is standing by her man, but Darcy overheard Sylar wish that the victim would disappear - forever.  With Harper distracted by her handsome new crush, Darcy is determined to to sleuth her way to the truth.  But it'll take more than a wish to unravel this mystery....


This book should have had a disclaimer on the cover: Do not start reading before bed. It may keep you up all night.  And it did, too.  Once I began the book I couldn't put it down and yes I was up until 3ish this morning.  I cannot complain.  The book is very good.  Me, on the other hand, not so much.  I've been dragging my feet all day long.  Yes, I'm tired but I got to read a really book.


Darcy and Harper are new to Enchanted Village and to the Craft.  They go about their daily life slowly adjusting to a new place and their gift, they're learning the rules and secrecy of having this gift.  Along the way they meet interesting people and I got a feeling that this series entourage with be awesome.  The main character, Darcy, is very likable, she's going through an adjustment period her life, she's newly divorced and she's sworn off man.  Until she meets Nick.  He too has some issues, he's a single dad raising a daughter.  Oh yeah, they're attracted to each other, and I just know that the author will stretch this romance for a few books. Hehehe.  There are a bunch of other interesting people, Evan and Starla, Aunt Ve, Pepe, Mrs P, and  Arthur.   The mystery itself was a very well written.  I truly could not guess who could have killed Alex.  It seemed like the list a growing constantly.  And I was very surprised on who the murderer was.


I have just one little problem.  I have to wait until August for the next book in the series.


It Takes a Witch by Heather Blake (5/5) Paranormal Mystery; Published: Obsidian Mystery (1/2012); New Author; Favorite Read 2012; Series: # 1, Wishcraft Mystery; Library; Books 2012 (10);

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This book sounds interesting. I'm not familiar with it, so thanks for sharing! I must add it to my pile :)

Leya said...

Hope you it as well!