Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Double Hook

I read The Double Hook by Sheila Watson for two reasons, which are connected in one way: 1, she's a Canadian author and 2, for a challenge, The Canadian Book Challenge.

Here's the blurb for The Double Hook:
In spare, allusive prose, Sheila Watson charts the destiny of a small, tightly knit community nestled in the British Columbia Interior. Here, among the hills of Cariboo country, men and women are caught upon the double hook of existence, unaware that the flight from danger and the search for glory are both part of the same journey. In Watson’s compelling novel, cruelty and kindness, betrayal and faith shape a pattern of enduring significance.

Who would have thought that such a short book would bring such an emotional reaction to me? I was expecting it to be such, but never did I think I would be moved the way I was. I admit that it took me a few chapters to get into the story, and even getting used to the way the author writes (reminds me of Jose Saramago style), but once you get into the swing of things the story flows beautifully. It was not an easy read, you really need to pay attention to what going on, at times I had to re-read certain areas to really get the meaning of the symbolism.

It was quite an experience, and I am glad that I gave this book a try.

The Double Hook by Sheila Watson (4/5) Fiction; Canadian Classic Fiction; Published: McClelland 1959; Canadian Author; Canadian Book Challenge 3 (6); Books 2010 (18);

No comments: