Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Doom with a View

Professional psychic Abigail Cooper is used to dealing with skeptics, but even she's ready to cry uncle when she's forced to work with a true nonbeliever bent on proving her a fraud.

Seeing Is Believing


Business has been frustratingly slow for Abby. She needs any new commission she can get, even if it means agreeing to a job with the FBI that puts her at the center of a political struggle between powerful agents, one of whom is flinty lead investigator and confirmed skeptic Brice Harrison. Abby's skills - and patience - are continually tested as she works to convince Harrison that she's the real deal and can help him locate three teens who have mysteriously disappeared.

Abby's intuition tells her these are not random abductions - and she forsees another victim being kidnapped. To get to the bottom of the case, she and Harrison will have to put aside their differences and work together to find the connection between the missing kids. And to do that, Abby will have to win over Harrison while keeping her psychic eye wide-open.

A Psychic Eye Mystery series by Victoria Laurie is one of my favourite cozy mysteries. I love that it doesn't have the gore but it has that excitement and the need to find out the who dunnit. And like any other series out there it has its ups and downs, some that you like more than others. But regardless on how much or how little I'll enjoy the book, I know that it will be entertaining.

And this one didn't disappoint. I enjoyed Harrison's skepticism, and his need to test Abby's gift, and I loved the way that Abby dealt with him. But Candice was the scene stealer of this book in my opinion. I love her no-nonsense attitude and her chemistry both with Abby and Harrison, and don't get me started on Harrison and Candice's banter...love it!

The mystery of the missing teens was interesting and a tad disturbing when you finally realized what it actually happening. I was completely surprised on who was the kidnapper/murderer was, but I was also saddened by the reasoning behind the crimes.

I am looking forward to the new book, I'm curious how the move to a different city will impact or chance the dynamics of the series. I guess it's only a matter of time, it's coming out later in the year.

Doom With A View by Victoria Laurie (4/5) Contemporary Mystery; Paranormal: Psychic; Published: Obsidian (9/09); Series: # 7, A Psychic Eye Mystery; Books 2010 (17);

No comments: