Monday, August 3, 2009

Captain Wentworth's Diary

It is 1806, and the Napoleonic wars are ravaging Europe. Frederick Wentworth, a brilliant young man with a flourishing career in the navy, is spending his shore leave in Somerset, where he meets and falls in love with Anne Elliot. The two become engaged, but Anne's godmother persuades Anne to change her mind, leaving Wentworth to go back to sea a bitter and disappointed man. Eight years pass, and peace is declared. Wentworth is no longer a young man with his way to make in the world, but a seasoned captain with a fortune at his disposal. He is ready to marry anyone with a little beauty who pays a few compliments to the navy - or so he says - until he sees Anne. Anne's bloom has faded, yet she has the same sensibilities and superior mind she had eight years earlier, and before he knows it, he is falling in love with her all over again. Can there be a happy outcome for them this time around, or have they lost their chance of love forever?

I love Persuasion, it's my favorite book by Jane Austen, after Pride and Prejudice. But I've always been curious on Captain Wentworth's point of view of the story. And when I found that Amanda Grange had written a book about Captain Wentworth I couldn't resist taking it out of the library. I love her interpretations of Jane Austen's other novels and I just knew that I would enjoy it.

It was a wonderful read. I was taken back to the first time that Frederick and Anne met, the way they fell in love and the way it all dissolved. The hurt, confusion and anger was there, and the way that he slowly re-discovered his love for Anne and also the understanding the reason why Anne refused him.

It was truly enjoyable!

Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (4/5) Historical Fiction: Jane Austen Interpretation; Published: Robert Hale Ltd (6/2007); 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (92);

2 comments:

Seccionista said...

I can't wait ti read this one. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Nise' said...

Got this one on hold at the library, glad to know you liked it!