Sunday, March 1, 2009

What I Did For Love

How did this happen? Georgie York, once the costar of America's favorite television sitcom, has been publicly abandoned by her famous husband, her film career has tanked, her father is driving her crazy, and her public image as a spunky heroine is taking a serious beating.

What should a down-on-her-luck actress do? Not go to Vegas . . . not run into her detestable former costar, dreamboat-from-hell Bramwell Shepard . . . and not get caught up in an ugly incident that leads to a calamitous elopement. Before she knows it, Georgie has a fake marriage, a fake husband, and maybe (or not) a fake sex life.

It's a paparazzi free-for-all, and Georgie's nonsupporting cast doesn't help. There's Bram's punk-nightmare housekeeper, Georgie's own pushy parent, a suck-up agent, an icy studio head with a private agenda, and her ex-husband's new wife, who can't get enough of doing good deeds and saving the world—the bitch. As for Georgie's leading man, Bram's giving the performance of his life, but he's never cared about anyone except himself, and it's not exactly clear why.

Two enemies find themselves working without a script in a town where the spotlight shines bright . . . and where the strongest emotions can wear startling disguises.

I really hate when this happens. I've been looking forward on reading a new Susan Elizabeth Phillips book for ages, and I kept What I Did For Love on my nightstand for a while before reading it. I've been anticipating this read, imagining it to be wonderful like the previous book I read of hers, Natural Born Charmer. So, I begin the book, and after 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that the book is based on the Jennifer Anniston/Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie media circus. I kept on reading, hoping that it would be a good experience.

A good experience? Well, not all that good. I found Georgie to be a wet noodle, she needed to grow a spine, but I liked her...eventually she found what she wanted and didn't give a heck what her father/manager thought. I didn't like Bram, he was ass. The one character that I really enjoyed was Chaz. She was the saving grace of the book.

I probably should have stopped reading the book halfway through but I didn't because of the author. Well, because of her previous books, I was hoping that the end would redeem the book. It didn't, I'm afraid to say...Just my opinion.

What I Did For Love by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (2.5/5) Romance; Published: William Morrow (1/2009); 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (28); 2009 Support Your Local Library (23); 2009 Pub Challenge (6); Romance Reading Challenge (2);

1 comment:

Seccionista said...

Uh oh! This is not good...