Monday, March 30, 2009

Black Beauty

I love horses. Always have. They're graceful and beautiful animals, and also very kind. Because of my allergies and asthma I had to stop riding, but my love for horses has not diminished. When my daughter chose to read Black Beauty a few months ago, I just had to put it on my list. I hate admitting this, I never read this book before...it's one of those books I've always wanted to read but never got around to it.

The story is told by Black Beauty, it's his memoir/biography. It begins with him as a colt, and follows with various owners, some good and some bad and it ends with his retirement. It a beautifully written story, it's straight forward and entertaining. I think that being written in the first person adds to the experience, it makes it real. And I know from my daughter reading it, that it teaches children sympathy, compassion for animals of any size. And the message does not change when you read it as an adult.

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (4/5) Children's Classic; Published: 1877; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (38); 2009 Support Your Local Library (33); Celebrate The Author (3); Young Readers Challenge (2); Spring Reading Thing (1);

No comments: