Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion

I'm on a roll with the paranormal mystery and I can't seem to stop. Not that I'm complaining...I just wonder how long it will last?

Here's the blurb for The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion by Alice Kimberley:
Bookshop owner Penelope Thornton-McClure didn't believe in ghosts - until she met the ghost of hard-boiled 1940s private investigator Jack Shepard. And when Pen's friend and mailman, Seymour Tarnish, gets into deep trouble, Pen not only believes in her ghost - she also thinks he can help...

An elderly lady of leisure has been found dead on posh Larchment Avenue, her will recently - and suspiciously - revised to name Seymour as heir of her mansion. Just as eyes turn to him as the murdered - and Seymour gets busy settling into his ritzy digs - the mansion's ghosts begin plaguing him. So he hires a team of parapsychologists to exorcise all the spirits from the Quindicott - and that includes Jack. Pen must act fast, because losing Jack scares Pen more than rattling chains and cold spots...

So far all the book of the Haunted Bookshop series have been fun to read, and I think it's what keeps me coming back to more. I love the main characters and their banter. And I also enjoy their friendship and the way they need to be together.

I also enjoy the secondary characters. Seymour Tarnish for instance is one of my favorites and I was happy to see him take a "lead" role in this mystery, even if he was a "person of interest". But when he brings in the people to exorcise the ghosts he had me worried...well not overly much...you cannot have Haunted Bookshop without a ghost.

The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion by Alice Kimberly (3.5/5) Contemporary Mystery; Paranormal: Ghosts; Published: Berkley Prime Crime (1/2009); 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (21); 2009 Support Your Local Library (16); 2009 Pub Challenge (3);

No comments: