Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dawnkeepers

I had this book on my nightstand for over two weeks. I wanted to read it as soon as possible but every time I picked it up to start, I would set it down. My problem, was that I loved, absolutely loved the first novel of The Final Prophecy series, Nightkeepers, and I was having second thoughts about the second book, Dawnkeepers. Would it be just as good as the previous book? Or would I end up feeling like it was a waste of my time?

Here's the blurb for Dawnkeepers by Jessica Andersen:
The countdown to the end of days has begun. According ancient prophecy, on December 21, 2012. Mayan demons from the underworld will trigger an apocalypse. Only the Nightkeepers, mortal descendants of a race of magic-wielding-warrior-priests, can prevent the annihilation of all mankind

Nate Blackhawk can't help but resent the demands of his bloodline. Unlike his fellow Nightkeepers, he isn't about to let the gods determine his destiny - especially when it comes to love. Which means he refuses to submit to the unquenchable desire he feels for Alexis Gray, the shockingly beautiful trainee who first appeared in his visions. But that's easier said than done, considering that Nate needs Alexis's help in uncovering the seven Mayan artifacts inscribed with clues on how to defeat the demons.

Alexis is willing to do whatever is necessary to prove herself as a Nightkeeper. She believes in the life she was born into and the future the gods have written for her - even when it comes to Nate, who seems intent on ignoring the intense passion between them. But as she and Nate test their powers in a race to recover the seven statuettes before the demons do, Alexis finds it impossible to deny her feelings for the one man who's destined to be hers.

Let me start by saying that it was not a waste of time reading this book. I enjoyed it. Now, that being said, I didn't think it was as good as the first book. But from experience, seconds books never are.

The beginning of the book had an action/adventure feel to it, and that got me hooked. I was so enthralled with it that I read uninterrupted for several hours. The setting was amazing (as usual), the characters are believable (their feelings) and likable (well, some of them at least), the rituals and beliefs were interesting and gripping and they kept me turning the pages.

The main characters, Nate and Alexis, were good, I liked the way Nate grew to understand his feelings towards the Nightkeepers, his family and eventually his feelings for Alexis. Alexis on the other hand, I didn't care too much for her, a romantic lead. She had this need to be as powerful, as needed, and respected as her mother was previously, her winikin Izzy really got on my nerves, always pushing her, and manipulating her (in my opinion). Anyway back to romance, I didn't think it was there, well, at least not like the first book. The chemistry/lust was there but the little things that would make this a "romance" wasn't there in my opinion.

I also think that I might have been more interested on what was going on with the rest of the Nightkeepers. Rabbit, still dealing with the death of his father, and understanding and experiencing his gifts. Anna, basically being forced to come home and help, even it's the last place that she wants to be. Lucius, his curiosity got the better of him, so now he's enslaved and possessed by evil magic. And the search for missing Sasha continues...I'm sure they'll find her next book.

Speaking of which, Skykeepers, will be released in the summer.

Dawnkeepers by Jessica Andersen (4/5) Paranormal Romance; Mayan Mythology; Published: Signet Eclipse (January 2009); Series: # 2, The Final Prophecy; 2009 100 + Reading Challenge (16); 2009 Support Your Local Library (12); 2009 Pub Challenge (2);

No comments: