Thursday, December 11, 2008

Power Play

I’m a huge fan of Deirdre Martin’s NY Blades’ series. What can I say? I find sexy, hunky hockey players very appealing. But the two previous books of the series, were a little lukewarm for my taste. I’ve been missing the spark that the first three books of the series had. And I was hoping that I would find it with the latest one of the series, Power Play.

Here’s the blurb:
They were acting when they met. They dated under false pretenses. But their attraction was all too real.

A leading soap opera actress, Monica Geary is good at faking it. But pretending to fall for NHL star and notorious playboy Eric Mitchell is going to be her hardest role ever. Yet she has no choice, for she desperately needs an edge in order to maintain her daytime diva status.

Eric Mitchell is a man in demand. First he was traded to save the New York Blades, and now the publicity department has loaned him out to help save Monica Geary's career. What no one knows is that one of People magazine's hottest bachelors is also a closet soap opera fan. He's had his eyes on Monica for years-and can't wait to get his arms around her.

It had the spark! Well, it only lasted about for about five minutes! I feel frustrated and angry! It just fizzled! WTH!

The book was so promising. You have a gorgeous, charming athlete, and a beautiful, icon of daytime drama…it had potential. From their initial reluctance to “work” together, to the scheming of their mutual plan, and to the real feelings, was really good. But I hate to say it, but the execution of it fell short.

I have just one more word to say about this book: Argh!

Power Play by Deirdre Martin (3/5) Contemporary Romance; Published: Berkley (2008); Series: # 7, New York Blades; 100 + Reading Challenge (87); Library book;

1 comment:

Kristie (J) said...

I read her first one and liked it quite a bit but then didn't care for the second one at all and that was that. For a superb hockey romance - I've never read one yet that beats See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson