Thursday, November 20, 2008

Secrets Desires of a Gentleman

I ordered this book a while back, I’ve had it in my possession for about a month. I was saving it for a “treat”. But after the last read, I needed a picker-upper.

Here’s the blurb of Secret Desires of a Gentleman by Laura Lee Guhrke:
Once Upon a Time…

Maria Martingale was going to elope. But Phillip Hawthorne, Marquess of Kayne, put a stop to those plans when he learned his younger brother intended to marry a cook’s daughter. Now twelve years later, Maria discovers that the man who holds her fate in his hands is none other than the haughty gentleman who sent her packing – and he’s as handsome and arrogant as ever.

Happily Ever After?

Always the proper gentleman, Phillip will do anything to protect his family from scandal, and when Maria dares to move in right next door, he knows scandal will surely follow. She is as tempting as he remembered… and the more he sees her, the harder it is for Phillip to hide his own secret desire for her…


Was this book brilliant? No, it wasn’t. But it was definitely the picker-upper that I needed. And enjoyable, too.

I enjoyed the setting, the time period, and the characters. The heroine, Maria, is strong willed, independent and stubborn woman. The hero, Phillip is hard working, intelligent, controlling and somewhat of a snob. He’s desperate to control his desire for Maria, because she’s not for him, and she is completely clueless of his desires. She’s still rilling about the loss of his friendship.

Although the story moves well along the book, I found that the ending was rushed and abrupt. And a lot of questions came to mind with the ending. Which I'm not going to mention...because I don't want to give anything away.

Secret Desires of a Gentleman by Laura Lee Guhrke (3.5/5) Historical Romance; Published: Avon (10/2008); 100 + Reading Challenge (80); Keeper shelf;

No comments: