Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lords of the Underworld

I’ve read several books written by Gena Showalter, some I loved, others I liked and others that I just couldn’t get into. So, when a friend suggested that I read The Darkest Night, I was a little worried. Which will this one be?

Here’s the blurb:

All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member—a man trapped in a hell of his own.

Neither can resist the instant hunger that calms their torments…and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction—and a soul-shattering test of love…


Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this book. I love the premise of the book, six warriors cursed by the Gods because they stole and opened a precious box. Yep, that box...you know... Pandora. The setting is Budapest. Whenever I hear Budapest, I think of history, mysterious happenings, Gothic architecture…I had no problem imagining five hunky warriors keeping the evils away from the city. I thought the hero was wonderful, what he has to endure every night is astonishing, and the way he fought “his demon” was very touching.

My problem, okay, problems were with a few of the characters, and yes, the heroine. I didn’t like Paris, a womanizing pig (I realize it’s his demon, but still), and Aeron really got on my nerves, I did think that his “little” surprise was neat. Ashlyn, she had the potential, she had spunk and a desire to heal herself, but I thought she was whiny…but let’s just say she redeemed herself at the end of the book.

I won’t be running out and buying the rest of the series, but if by chance I find them at the library or UBS, I’ll pick them up.

The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter (3/5) Romance Paranormal; Mythology; Published: HQN (5/08); Series: # 1, Lords of the Underworld; 100 + Reading Challenge (42);

No comments: