Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Gospel

I originally tried reading my mother's copy, O Evangelho Segundo Jesus Cristo, but I found it difficult to follow, so she went out and bought me a copy of the translation of it, The Gospel According To Jesus Christ. It's been in my shelf for about six years. I was bound to read it...sooner or later. I never thought it would take me this long.

Have you ever been curious on what happen to Jesus from the time of his birth to before he starts being the prophet or the Messiah (whichever one you prefer)? We know of his conception, his birth, and we know what had occurred just before his death and we also know about the Resurrection. But what about his childhood years? How was his relationship with his parents? Siblings? What was he like?

In this book, the author, Jose Saramago gives us his interpretation on what happened. I can certainly understand the controversy of this book, but it such a wonderful experience. I can understand how some may find this book disturbing, but enjoyed the nuances that makes this revered figure, human. He was just like you and me. I loved every little bit of it!

I loved the way the author just drew me in. I sat down with the book, and I said to myself, just read two chapters, and before I knew I was halfway through and I didn't want to stop. I admit it took me a little to get used to the author's style of writing, but after a while I didn't notice it any longer. It was just so easy to follow, I got caught up the people of the story, and wanting to know more.

The Gospel According To Jesus Christ by Jose Saramago (5/5) Historical Fiction; Published: Editorial Caminho 1991 - Portugal; Published: Harvest Book 1994; Translated from the Portuguese by Giovanni Pontiero; Favourite Read 2008; 100 + Reading Challenge (40); July Book Blowout (16); Orbis Terrarum Challenge (1); Keeper Shelf;



2 comments:

Janet said...

Sounds very interesting!

Leya said...

Yes, it was. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much..