Saturday, March 22, 2008

Canada Reads: Not Wanted On The Voyage

I've finished reading the second book for my version of Canada Reads. I made a personal challenge. I will read all the books listed for the CBC's Canada Reads challenge. I don't have a time line, let's face it reading thirty five books may take a while, especially when I tend to be very moody reader.

Not Wanted On The Voyage by Timothy Findley was a book selected on Canada Reads 2008, it championed by actor Zaib Shaikh.

I have read Timothy Findley before, I consider him to be one of the best, one of my favourites. I loved Pilgrim and The Piano Man's Daughter. So I was pretty excited about reading Not Wanted On The Voyage.

Here's the blurb:

Not Wanted on the Voyage is the story of the great flood and the first time the world ended. It is a brilliant, unforgettable drama filled with an extraordinary cast of remarkable characters: the tyrannical Noah and his indomitable wife, Mrs. Noyes; the aging and irritable Yahweh; a chorus of singing sheep; and a unicorn destined for a horrible death. With pathos and pageantry, desperation and hope, magic and mythology, this acclaimed novel weaves its unforgettable spell.


In my opinion the book started off great. I was fully interested in the story, in his point of view. But somewhere in the middle I started getting disinterested. There were times where I found it disturbing and others very touching. But I think the disturbing ones won out and really creeped me out. I felt for the women in this book, and my favorite character was a cat. Yep, a cat. I have a soft spot for cats, especially the black ones.

Overall I'm glad that I read this book. I loved the imagery, but it was a little too much.

Not Wanted On The Voyage by Timothy Findley (3/5) General Fiction; Published: Viking Canada (1984); Canadian Author; Canada Reads; Library Book;

No comments: