Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Duke & The Seamstress

I enjoy Laura Lee Gurhke's books, and I was so excited to have found her latest at the library. I thought I was going to have a great cozy read in front of the fire place last evening.

Here's the blurb from The Wicked Ways of a Duke:
Once upon a time, there was a seamstress named Prudence who lived in a lodging house, worked very hard, and dreamed of a better life. Then she inherited a fortune, met a handsome duke, and fell in love. Her life was wonderful, and it seemed as if she was destined to live happily ever after.

Then she found out money can’t buy happiness, handsome dukes can also be wicked, lying scoundrels, and a broken heart hurts like hell. Will Prudence ever find true love and happiness? Will the wicked duke mend his ways? Will she take him back or kick him to the curb?

OMGosh I was so disappointed. In theory the story had so much potential, but the story fell short, in my opinion. I loved the Duke, I just adored his cynicism, he made me laugh. The heroine, Prudence, just got on my nerves. At the beginning, she seemed to be a strong individual, working hard, living independently from her family, but once she turns into an heiress, she becomes a bleeping idiot... why oh why does this happen?!

Now you may be asking yourself, why didn't I just stop reading the book. I couldn't, I enjoyed the author's books thus far, and I didn't want to give her up. Will I stop reading Guhrke? No way, I just have to revisit my favorites: Guilty Pleasures, Not So Innocent, His Every Kiss and And Then He Kissed Her.

The Wicked Ways Of A Duke by Laura Lee Guhrke (2/5) Historical Romance; Published: Avon Books (January 2008); Library Book;

No comments: