Friday, January 11, 2008

The End of the Week: Three Books Down

Thanks to Audiobooks I was able to "read" three books in one week.

I can't remember the last time that happened. I listened to two audiobooks and finally finished reading the Elizabeth Peters book, The last Camel Died at Noon.

I tried reading this book last year, but because of a huge amount of holds that it had, I was unable to finish reading it before returning it to the library. So when I saw that they had an audio version of it I picked it up. So I've been listening to it while I've been working out. Wonderful experience. It's great to know that in the past week and a half I worked out for fifteen hours.

The book was faced paced, I found it very intense. At times it had me doubting the main character, maybe she really did lose her mind. It also had Nora Roberts trademark sizzle, the chemistry between the hero and heroine was awesome. And I really enjoyed the environment, the backdrop of mountains and lakes was very peaceful and serene. Which really highlighted the gruesome crime that was committed.

Angels Fall by Nora Roberts (4.5/5) Romantic Suspense; Published: 7/06; Audio Book; Library book

So while I was listening to Angels Fall during my workeouts, I was listening to 4th of July at home. You know during chores and knitting sessions. This one, was a re-read for me.

Since I've been enjoying watching the series on TV, I decided that I would re-read the series. And luckily my local library has all the books available on audiobook format.

4th of July by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro (4.5/5) Thriller/Suspense; Published: 2005; Series: #4, Women’s Murder Club; Audio Book; Library Book

I usually have no problem reading Elizabeth Peters, but for some reason, I struggled through the first half of this book. One of my resolutions this year, is not to give up and read the whole book. And I did just that. And I'm glad that I stuck it out. After a particular event (in the book) the storyline just picked up and flew by, it was amazing. Almost like the first half was written by one author the second half by another.

It this one the Peabody Emerson clan is back in Africa, but not in Egypt as normal but in the Sudan. An English gentleman has asked for Emerson's help in finding his uncle and aunt that disappeared in the area ten years before. You are introduced to another character, Kemit, who seems a little shady. And more towards the end you are also introduced to a charming young girl that has Ramses speechless.

The Camel Died at Noon by Elizabeth Peters (3/5) Historical Mystery; Published: 9/91, Warner Books; Series: # 6, Amelia Peabody Emerson; Library book

No comments: