Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I Do Not Want To Be Teen Again


Megan McCafferty's book Sloppy Firsts definitely brought back memories, some good, but mostly bad memories. I confess I'm one of those people who rather have a root canal then go back to school. I hated it! I hated it! Have I mentioned that I hated high school?! I still have very close friends from high school, but they're the ones that made it a better place for me.

Here's the blurb:

When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyper-observant 16-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy-and-shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad's obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany's lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?


I really identified with Jessica. I was Jessica in high school, well minus the track star bit. I found that Ms. McCafferty really got to the essence of being in high school. The layers of high school society that can drive a sane person insane. There were laugh out loud moments and hanky moments, just like the ones that you either remember or try very hard to forget (it all depends on your perspective.

Fashion Wire Daily said of the book: "Funny and touching.... Perfect for nostalgic adults who'll be happy they've grown up and alienated teenagers who'll be grateful for a book that tells it like it is."

Rate: 4/5, Library book

No comments: