Thursday, August 16, 2007

Her Royal Spyness



The first book of a new series by one of my favorite authors, Rhys Bowen, Her Royal Spyness: solves her first case.

Here's the blurb:
Her ridiculously long name is Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, daughter to the Duke of Atholt and Rannoch. And she is flat broke. As the thirty-fourth in line for the throne, she has been taught only a few things, among them, the perfect curtsey. But when her brother cuts off her allowance, she leaves Scotland, and her fiancŽ Fish-Face, for London, where she has:

a) worked behind a cosmetics counter-and gotten sacked after five hours
b) started to fall for a quite unsuitable minor royal
c) made some money housekeeping (incognita, of course), and
d) been summoned by the Queen to spy on her playboy son.

Then an arrogant Frenchman, who wants her family's 800-year-old estate for himself, winds up dead in her bathtub. Now her most important job is to clear her very long family name.


As usual I cannot go wrong with a Rhys Bowen book. I absolutely adore her books. I was first introduced to her books by my friend Carol Ann, who gave me Evans Above. After reading it, I just HAD to get my hands on her others. So far I'm up to date with the Molly Murphy series, and I'm half way through with the Constable Evan Evans series.

And now there's another series to look forward to... I loved the book. I enjoyed heroine, Georgie,she seemed so down to earth (considering she was 34th in line for the throne), I loved that she wasn't afraid to work, I loved the way she cared for her granddad and looked out for her older brother. I also enjoyed that she was clumsy at times and not afraid to admit. There were also other characters that I enjoyed Belinda, Darcy (yep, it has a Darcy!), Fig, Binky and her grandfather. I think what I enjoyed mostly of the story was quickly it happened, but it didn't seemed rushed.

Rate: 4.5/5, Library Book

No comments: