Friday, August 10, 2007

Downfall


My husband is a huge fan of WWII movies, so when he mentioned that he wanted to watch Downfall (one more for the collection!), I thought, "great, here we go again". "But this one is different", he said, it's a German movie about Hitler's last days. Hmm, subtitles! Bring it on!

I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the actor that portrayed Hitler, Bruno Ganz, did a superb job, even if he doesn't particularly look like him. Here was this so called "Great" man, the savior of the German people, acting irrationally, ok maybe more insane like, paranoid, and super controlling. Here was someone who would rather take his own life than suffer the consequences of his actions. I knew before hand I would feel angry and mad, but I never thought I would feel sorry for him.

No comments: